Ylang-Ylang (Cananga odorata) is a very popular aromatherapy oil that is extracted from the flowers of the Cananga tree. The cananga is a tropical tree that is native to the rain forests of Indonesia and the Philippines. Production of ylang-ylang oil began in the Philippines around 1860, and today the supply of essential oil comes from cultivated trees.
Ylang-Ylang oil is extracted from the flowers using a water or a water and steam distillation method. The essential oil has an aroma that has been described as fruity, pungent, sweet and flowery.
- Massage Oil: Ylang-ylang oil can be an effective massage oil, when used in combination with a base oil, such as jojoba or wheat germ. Because the oil is so strong, it’s important to dilute it to avoid the risk of irritation. Thanks to its aphrodisiac properties and pleasant aroma, Ylang-Ylang oil is perfect for sensual couple’s massages.
- As a Cream: When blended with an emulsion or moisturizing crème, Ylang-Ylang is a great essential oil for the skin, nourishing and moisturizing flaky and dry skin. Try rubbing a little on your hands before bed to unlock its natural sleep-inducing properties.
- Hair Care: Ylang-Ylang oil was regularly used as a natural hair growth remedy in Victorian England and has continued to be used to treat fine and limp hair. It boosts hair development when massaged into hair follicles and is used as natural treatment for alopecia and thinning hair.
- Acne: The antibacterial properties of Ylang-Ylang essential oil mean that it can be used to treat acne very effectively. This is particularly good news for acne sufferers with dry skin because mixed with a scent free moisturizer, it will fight the bacteria that cause acne without drying out the skin.
- Skin: This essential oil has a balancing and stimulating effect on skin. It’s a great oil because it can help with over-dry and over-oily skin. It also balances the secretion of sebum. It has a stimulating effect on the scalp and is often used to help hair growth.
- Luxurious Bath Oil: Ylang-ylang oil has an intense fragrance that lasts long. It’s good to use as a luxurious bath oil! You only need to add just a few drops to achieve a nice scent that will linger on your skin. Don’t forget it’s a natural aphrodisiac so it can be used as a sensual and romantic bath oil.
- Bath Oil: Mix up 7 drops of ylang-ylang oil in 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Stir this mixture into a warm bath and soak in for as long as you want!
- Anti-Aging: You can’t miss out on the anti-aging effects of ylang-ylang oil! It has antioxidant properties that fight off free radicals which are responsible for premature aging, fine lines & wrinkles. You can make a nice face cream to fade fine lines using just 3 essential oils ylang-ylang, geranium & rose!
- Anti-Aging Facial Cream:Into a Magic Bullet blender, add ½ cup of Shea butter. Now add 2 tbsp of rose water and 1 tsp of vegetable glycerin. Blend till you get a white cream. Transfer the cream into an amber glass jar then add 5 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil, 5 drops lavender essential oil and 3 drops geranium essential oil. Mix well with a disposable chopstick. Your face cream is ready! Use a pea-sized amount on your face. This cream can last for 6 – 12 months, provided you keep it away from contamination, sunlight and water.
Uses of Ylang-Ylang Oil for Hair:
This oil is used to protect hair from damage inflicted by the harsh ocean. Below are five ways you can use Ylang-Ylang oil to care for your hair health.
- Hot Oil Treatment: Firstly, you can mix five drops of Ylang-Ylang with three tablespoons of olive oil. And then, you heat and apply to your hair just as you would any other hot oil treatment. You should do this once each week at least 30 minutes, wrapping a towel around your head to get the full benefits of this amazing oil.
- Nourishing Hair Oil: The first step is to mix avocado oil and coconut oil. After that, you add ten drops of ylang-ylang oil and ten drops of sandalwood oil. Lastly, you apply sparingly to the hair, insisting on the dry and brittle ends.
Uses of Ylang-Ylang Oil for Skin:
This oil is extremely effective in keeping moisture and oil balance of the skin. Ylang-ylang oil also helps your skin looking smooth, hydrated and young. There are four ways you can use ylang-ylang for skin care.
- For Dry Skin: You combine five drops of ylang-ylang, 5 drops of lavender and 5 drops of rose absolute. And then, you apply liberally on your face day and night.
- For Oily Skin: Simply, you only need to combine 1 ounce Golden Jojoba Oil with five drops ylang-ylang, 2 drops of geranium and 3 drops rosemary. Lastly, you apply liberally on your face day and night.
- Combination Skin: You can mix three drops of the ylang-ylang oil, three drops of geranium oil and two drops of rosewood oil mixed into 1/2 ounce of your facial moisturizer.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Avoid contact with eyes. If pregnant or lactating consult your health care practitioner before using.
- Avoid use with sensitive or damaged skin.
- Discontinue use if skin irritation occurs.
Available sizes are 15ml, 30ml, 50ml