Did you know it requires about 3,000 lemons to make one kilo of lemon essential oil (Citrus Limon)? Or that lemon has been used throughout history to protect against immune threats? The aroma of the oil is citrusy, sharp, and slightly sweet – kind of like a lemon. (Surprise!) Lemons are a stress-reducing super citrus fruit.
Lemon oil works primarily with the promoting healthy function for the Skin, Aromatically, it’s invigorating in a wake-you-up sort way. It’s also one of the most popular essential oils and has about a gazillion (a very large number or quantity) uses.
How is lemon essential oil made?
Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rinds of lemons, giving its aroma all the brightness of the freshly picked fruit. Cheerful, sweet, and nostalgic, Lemon oil can eliminate odors and infuse your whole home with its clean, lemon-drop scent when diffused.
Lemon essential oil blends well with Eucalyptus, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Peppermint, Sandalwood, and Ylang Ylang.
Depending on your uses for this oil, substitutes may include: Frankincense, Wild Orange, Lime, or Peppermint essential oils
1. Household cleaner
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water to clean tables, countertops, and (Except granites) other surfaces. Lemon oil also makes a great furniture polish
- Simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
- Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
- Use 1–2 drops to remove gum, oil, grease spots, glue or adhesive, and crayon from most surfaces.
- Combine 2–3 drops with water in a spray bottle to help cleanse and sanitize surfaces.
2. Skin Lightening
As we discovered earlier, lemon essential oil is the best oil for skin lightening. (See: This is the Best Essential Oil for Skin Lightening)
The three main components that make lemon essential oil remarkably good at skin lightening are
- Citric Acid
- Alpha Hydroxyl Acid
- These natural components found in lemon oil help you lighten your skin tone by:
- Acting as natural skin bleaching agents
- Reducing hyperpigmentation
- Toning your skin complexion
- Removing scars and dark spots with taint your complexion
- Gently exfoliating and sloughing off dull-colored dead cells in the epidermis
- Stimulating the replacement cycle of skin cells
- Removing tans.
3. Hair Growth
Lemon Oil, Castor Oil and Olive Oil
Grow your hair faster by blending lemon oil with castor oil and olive oil. The essential fats and vitamins in olive oil nourishes hair from the root to shaft whereas castor oil helps to develop longer, thicker and stronger hair.
- In a clean bowl mix 1 tbsp. Luke warm olive oil with ½ tbsp. warm castor oil.
- Add 3 drops pure essential lemon oil to the bowl and mix well.
- When the oil is comfortable warm apply it on scalp and hair.
- Massage well for 5 to 10 minutes and leave the oil overnight.
- Next morning follow the lemon juice hair therapy to remove excess oil from hair and finally wash hair with a mild herbal shampoo.
- Repeat the remedy at least once a week.
Note: This oil blend is suitable for dry, frizzy to normal hair
4. Glowing Skin
If you have dark spots, pigmentation problems, uneven skin tone, dark circles then lemon and almond oil mask is worth trying. Both the products are known for the “lightening and brightening” benefits.
- Simply take one tablespoon of lemon oil and mix it with one tablespoon of almond oil or coconut oil. Using cotton, apply it all over your face and neck. Now using your fingertips massage it on your face in upwards direction concentration more on your problem areas.
- Repair your skin overnight with natural ingredients. These three overnight masks and treatments will leave you with a complexion that looks dewier, younger and healthier overall.
5. Acne treatment
Lemon oil is widely referred to as a powerful remedy to fight acne spots. The oil is a rich source of antioxidants, citric acid and vitamin c properties that help reduce acne-causing bacteria and germs. The essential properties contained in the oil aid the skin to boost the production of collagen and maintain an equal balance between sebum productions. As a result, the skin can reduce acne scars.
- Add two drops of lemon oil an empty container.
- Add 8-10 drops of coconut oil and mix.
- Wash the face with Luke warm water.
- Gently apply the oil on the face.
- Let it dry for roughly 20 minutes.
- Wash the skin with water.
6. Hair Mask
The acidic and antibacterial properties of lemon help treat dandruff while coconut oil nourishes the scalp.
- Mix a spoon of lemon oil with some coconut oil and massage it into the scalp gently.
- Keep it on for an hour and then wash with a mild shampoo
7. Stretch Marks
Lemon oil contains Citric acid which can works as cleanser and revitalizing the skin .Try 4-5 Drops lemon oil in your hand gently massage this oil into effected area for 5 to 10 minutes. After letting the oil sit on the skin, clean the affected area with warm water. Repeat this routine daily at least 2 to 3 weeks .To create a cooling and refreshing stretch mark -removing concoction
- Use clean, room-temperature tap water. Make sure the water level does not exceed the water mark.
- Add 5–12 drops of do essential oils. You can add more oil for a stronger scent. Experiment with the amount of oil you use and find what works best for you.
9. Nail Care
Lemon is one of the most commonly used essential oils for nail care essential oil for nail care, especially for moisturizing and brightening nails
Lemon oil works in brightening dry, pale nails and surrounding skin areas. It also enhances the whiteness of the nails by removing yellowish tints on nails. Plus, the vitamin C, which is the natural antioxidant found in lemon oil aids in protecting cuticles against infections and adds nourishment too.
- Use it as a natural nail hardener – mix two drops of lemon oil, two drops of frankincense, one drop of wintergreen, four drops of wheat germ oil, and two drops of myrrh oil. All you need is one drop of the oil mixture every day to apply on your nails – apply multiple times a day for the best results.
Precautions of Lemon Essential Oil:
- Avoid contact with direct sunlight for 12+ hours after use.
- Always test for skin sensitivity prior to widespread use and use on the feet when possible.
- Excessive use of any oil can lead to skin sensitization.
- Keep out of eyes, ears, or nose.
Available sizes are 15ml, 30ml, 50ml