Lemongrass is an herb that belongs to the grass family of Poaceae. Lemongrass oil has a light and fresh lemony smell with earthy undertones. It is stimulating, relaxing, soothing, and balancing. The compounds that make up lemongrass essential oil are known to have anti-fungal, insecticidal, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties. Lemongrass essential oil is extracted from partially dried leaves by a process of steam distillation. The oil is yellow to amber in color and has a very fresh, citrus-like aroma that smells like a very sweet fresh grass.
Lemongrass may prevent the growth of some bacteria and yeast and it has antioxidant properties. It is also known by Cymbopogon it is a genus of about 55 species of grasses. Lemongrass grows in dense clumps that can grow 6 feet in height and 4 feet in width. It is native to warm and tropical regions, such as India, Southeast Asia, and Oceania. It is used as a medicinal herb in India and it is common in Asian cuisine. In African and South American countries, it is popularly used for making tea.
- One major lemongrass essential oil benefit is its skin healing properties.
- Add lemongrass oil to shampoos, conditioners, deodorants, soaps, and lotions.
- Lemongrass oil is an effective cleanser for all skin types. Its antiseptic and astringent properties make lemongrass oil perfect for getting even and glowing skin.
- It can sterilize your pores, serve as a natural toner, and strengthen your skin tissues.
- Lemongrass oil helps get rid of blackheads and provide acne relief.
- It’s a natural astringent, minimizing pores and firming the skin. Before using on skin, it should be tested for skin sensitivities.
- Lemongrass is among one of the most popular soap making herbs.
- This essential oil can be used in homemade lotion too!
- Lemongrass oil can strengthen your hair follicles, so if you are struggling with hair loss or an itchy and irritated scalp, massage a few drops of lemongrass oil into your scalp for two minutes and then rinse.
- The soothing and bacteria-killing properties will leave your hair shiny, fresh, and odor free.
- Lemongrass oil is used in commercial and homemade shampoo.
- It adds luster and fullness to hair, combats hair loss and controls oily and dry scalp conditions.
- It is believed that it strengthens hair follicles, so it’s beneficial for those within thinning hair. Those with dull or flat hair can notice a shinier, healthy sheen. Over shampooing can cause poor scalp conditions.
- Lemongrass helps maintain a healthful conditioning balance between dry to oily scalps. It’s a great shampoo for oily hair, dry hair, dull hair, flat hair and thinning hair.
- Lemongrass oil is a time tested remedy for breakouts. Add a few drops of this essential oil to lukewarm water and wash your face with it for keeping acne at bay.
- Add a tablespoon of witch hazel and four drops of lemongrass oil to aloe vera gel.
- Use it as a face mask that helps treat breakouts effectively. This oil cleanses the skin, reduces the appearance of pores, tightens the skin and controls the over-secretion of oil.
- Mix a few drops of lemongrass oil with jojoba oil to make your natural body massage oil.
- Use it every day to get smooth skin sans scars and wrinkles.
- Lemongrass is an effective helps for problems like hair loss, oily hair and scalp infections.
- It strengthens the hair follicles and prevents loss of hair.
- Mix three tablespoons of olive oil with 3 or 4 drops of lemongrass oil, go for a hot oil treatment and shampoo as usual.
- Add a couple of drops to your regular vinegar rinse to get rid of scalp build up and make your hair soft.
- For a relaxing foot bath: Add a few drops of lemongrass oil to a tub of warm water. Add two spoons of Epsom salt and thus, your invigorating foot bath soak is ready.
- Air freshener: Put a few drops of this aromatic oil in water and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray this natural air freshener for a fresh and clean feeling in the house. Not only does it smell pleasant, but it also helps to kill harmful germs.
- To help keep your face feeling fresh and debris-free, try a facial mask made with clay, almond oil and lemongrass essential oil.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of bentonite clay, a teaspoon of almond oil and 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil together in a clean bowl.
- Add water until the mixture is like toothpaste.
- Apply to your face in a circular motion and allow to dry for fifteen minutes.
- Rinse with warm water, pat dry and follow up with a light layer of coconut oil for moisturizing.
- One of amazing benefits of lemongrass essential oil is that you can also use it to reduce acne.
- It has antimicrobial properties that will fight bacteria, astringent properties that will help to control excess oil in the skin, and it is an anti-inflammatory, so it will help to reduce the redness of acne too.
- To use it to helps acne, mix it with a light carrier oil and dab it onto the affected area twice a day.
- Lemongrass oil, like any other essential oil, has innumerable benefits. However, it should be used carefully.
- Pregnant women and nursing mothers should refrain from using lemongrass oil treatments to keep away from any kind of unwanted complication.
- It is always advised that you use essential oils under expert guidance. Use lemongrass oil safely and stay beautiful and healthy.