Lavender oil is an essential oil obtained by distillation from the flower spikes of certain species of lavender. Lavender has been used for over 2000 years of history. The Egyptians used it in their mummification process and decorative urns were found in the pyramids with residues still inside. The Egyptians also perfumed their skin with Lavender.
Lavender Essential Oil has a wonderful sweet aroma and is usually steam distilled from Lavender plants. Most of the Lavender Essential Oils come from the angustifolias (narrow leaves) or English Lavenders which also goes by the previous name of Lavandula officinalis so sometimes it’s called English Lavender Essential Oil or Essential Lavender Oil.
Lavender Essential Oil Uses:
- Treat yourself to this well-loved aroma by adding a few drops of oil to lotions, shampoos, and skin care products.
- Create a spa-like retreat by combining 1 cup Epsom salt (bitter white crystalline salt) and 4 drops oil and adding to a hot bath.
- Make a basic homemade body scrub with coconut oil, sugar, and Lavender essential oil.
- Unwind with a Lavender-infused neck or back massage.
- Use Lavender as part of your evening routine. Rub oil on the bottom of your feet before bed or spritz your pillow with distilled water and Lavender mixed in a spray bottle.
Using Lavender Oil to Soothe Skin:
Use lavender oil in a bath: If your skin is dry and itchy, try taking a bath with dried lavender and oatmeal. You just need some oatmeal, dried lavender, and a muslin bag.
- Place two tablespoons of lavender and two tablespoons of oatmeal in the muslin (cotton fabric) bag.
- Fill a bathtub with warm water and toss the bag in.
- Soak in the bath for as long as you want.
Combine with honey for a face mask: A face mask made with lavender and raw honey can leave your skin feeling clean and refreshed. Mix a tablespoon of raw honey with three drops of lavender essential oil. This works best if you need to moisturize your face due to dry skin.
- Stir your mixture until it’s completely combined.
- Clean your face and leave it slightly damp.
- Apply your lavender and honey mixture to your face.
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes before washing it off.
Make a full-body moisturizer with lavender: Combining lavender with Shea butter, coconut oil, beeswax, and vitamin E oil can make a refreshing moisturizer. This can be great if you want to treat dry skin with lavender.
- Place two tablespoons of shea butter, one tablespoon of coconut oil, and one teaspoon of beeswax in a glass jar. Place the jar in a pan of simmering water and keep it there until the ingredients melt.
- Stir in half a teaspoon of vitamin E oil and 5 to 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Let the mixture cool overnight. You can then use it on dry, cracked skin.
Dilute lavender oil prior to applying it to your skin: You should never apply lavender oil directly on your skin. This can cause itching, burning, or a rash. You need to dilute essential oil in a carrier oil prior to applying it to your skin. Carrier oils are things like olive oil and canola oil.
- A 2% dilution should be safe for most skin. This means adding 12 drops of essential oil per fluid ounce of your carrier oil.
- You can use another oil, like olive oil or canola oil. However, you can also use lotions and moisturizers as your carrier oil.
- You should under no circumstances use lavender oil without diluting it first. This will cause a bad skin reaction.
Acne with lavender oil: Lavender oil may have some benefits for treating acne. It does have antiseptic and antibacterial properties. You can combine it with witch hazel, which should also be diluted, to treat breakouts.
- Dab a cotton ball in your diluted lavender oil. Apply the mixture to your skin. Target spots prone to acne in particular.
- It’s a good idea to wash your skin with your regular cleanser or moisturizer before using lavender oil.
Relieve a dry, itchy scalp with lavender oil: If a dry, itchy scalp is an issue for you, lavender oil can help alleviate this. You can use your regular shampoo or conditioner here to dilute the lavender oil. Then, apply it to your scalp.