WHAT IS EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL?
Extra virgin is the highest quality and most expensive olive oil classification. It should have no defects and a flavor of fresh olives.
It must be produced entirely by mechanical means without the use of any solvents, and under temperatures that will not degrade the oil.
It’s not easy to produce extra virgin olive oil. A producer must use fresh olives in good condition and monitor every step of the process with great care. Extra virgin olive oil doesn’t stay that way: Even in perfect storage conditions, the oil will degrade over time, so it’s important to enjoy it within its two-year shelf life.
FOR SKIN BENEFITS:
- Extra virgin olive oil, popularly known as EVOO, is also often referred to as a “beauty secret”. Besides being an excellent skin moisturizer, it helps stimulate cell repair for firmer and smoother skin.
- If you apply this oil to your skin, right after bath, you’ll enjoy smooth and flawless skin.
- Make sure to use only the extra virgin olive oil on the skin to avoid the side effects of chemicals found in regular refined olive oil.
FOR HAIR BENEFITS:
- This oil forms a protective cover around the outer layers of the hair to make them look healthy and beautiful.
- Using extra virgin olive oil for hair helps in conditioning, nourishing and improving the thickness of hair.
- Loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, olive oil helps retain the moisture in your hair and stimulates their growth. It also protects your hair against dirt, pollution and strong sunrays.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Skin:
Olive oil is considered as a tonic for the skin. The antioxidants, Vitamin E and monounsaturated fatty acids in this oil are very beneficial for the skin.
If you are wondering how to use extra virgin olive oil for skin, here are a few effective ways to use it:
- Olive Oil Bath: Just fill your bathtub with warm water and mix 5 tablespoons of EVOO in it. Soak yourself in this water for 20 minutes. The Olive oil bath is excellent for making your skin moisture supple, smooth and young looking.
- Olive Oil Body Lotion for Moisturizing: You need not depend on expensive body lotion to make your skin look beautiful. Immediately after you have the shower, apply and light layer of EVOO oil on your skin. EVOO penetrates deeply to regenerate cells and soften the tissue. This helps to retain the moisture and make this skin smooth and soft. Use the oil lavishly on elbows, knees, and feet as these areas are drier than the rest of the skin.
- Cuticle and Nail Softener: Rub the EVOO on cuticles, nails, and knuckles to prevent dryness and snags. If your nails on toes and fingers have become hard and dry, keep your toes and fingers soaked EVOO mixed warm water for 10 minutes to make them soft and flexible.
- Body Scrub: You can use olive oil on the skin for a body scrub. Apply the EVOO on all over your skin and then scrub the skin with sugar or coarse salt. You will find several body scrubs with olive oil.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Hair:
This oil has the special ability to penetrate the hair strands and cortex for moisturizing the hair from within. The nutrients and vitamins in olive oil such as Vitamin E, Vitamin A, and Antioxidants in it improve the health of the hair.
- Dry Hair Treatment: Take 3tbsp EVOO in a bowl and gradually apply this oil on your dry and unwashed hair. First, massage the oil on the scalp and then apply the oil on entire length of hair. Let the oil stay on hair for 30 minutes and then wash and condition the hair as normally you do.
- Hair Conditioning Treatment: Add 1tbsp olive oil to 20ml of your favorite hair conditioner; blend them thoroughly. Use this oil and conditioner mixture for conditioning your hair.
- Hot Oil Treatment: Take 3 tbsp EVOO oil in a stainless steel container and warm it up in the oven. Do not over heat the oil, the temperature should be as much as the skin and hair can tolerate. Apply the warm oil on hair and scalp. It is good to massage the oil on hair for 5 minutes. After 15 minutes you can rinse the hair. It is best for dry and dandruff infected hair.
- Leave-In Treatment: A teaspoon of EVOO and mix it in leave-in conditioner. Use this mixture for conditioning the hair. It gives lasting moisture coating to dry hair.