Someone once said, “Beauty is being comfortable and confident in your own skin.” This saying would become more literal if your skin gets all the nourishment that it deserves. That is to say, natural beauty is the best beauty if you take proper care of it. Same goes for your hair. Hair is the crown which we never take off. It is always wise to invest in proper care of your hair. What’s better than having a single product to take care of both the skin and hair? Well, there is one that is right for you, it’s Jojoba oil! There are immense benefits of jojoba oil for hair and skin. Let us take a look!
Jojoba oil is the extract obtained from the seeds of the jojoba plant (Simmondsia Chinensis). It is native to some parts of the United States and Mexico. Since it is composed majorly (around 97%) of mono-esters of long-chain fatty acids and alcohol, it has an extremely stable shelf life. It is also known as jojoba wax. Native Americans used the oil to treat skin wounds and sores.
Check out the benefits of jojoba oil for skin and hair now
Benefits of Jojoba Oil for Skin
Our skin acts as a connecting medium between the outside environment and our body. Its role is to protect the body from allergens and noxious irritants. According to research on the benefits of plant oils for the skin, jojoba oil has the following benefits:
- Skin barrier repair: Jojoba oil works well for conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis and eczematous dermatitis.
- Anti-inflammatory effect: Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, jojoba oil can be used to delay skin ageing and treat skin infections.
- Wound healing: Jojoba oil exhibits significant wound healing properties.
- Antioxidant effect: Topical application of jojoba oil acts as a skin barrier against UV rays and protects the body’s natural antioxidant defense mechanism. The antioxidants present in jojoba oil also penetrates the skin layers and provide extra protection.
- Preventing skin ageing: Exposure to UV rays leads to photoaging. Dyspigmentation such as freckling and lentigo, seborrheic keratosis, actinic keratosis, and solar elastosis are some of the clinical signs of photoaging. The reactive oxidative stress (ROS) induced by UV radiation is the main cause for photoaging. Excessive exposure to UV rays may also cause skin cancers. These can be prevented by the topical application of jojoba oil.
- Treating acne: The benefits of jojoba oil for treating acne are immense. This oil is capable of reducing both inflamed and non-inflamed acne lesions.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil for Hair
Hair care is as essential as skin care. Hair can become dry and damaged in the hot summer months. Dyed hair is more prone to weakening when exposed to the hot sun. Let us take a look at how jojoba oil helps the hair.
- Retains moisture: Jojoba oil helps the scalp to retain its natural moisture inside by covering the scalp with a protective layer.
- Nourishes scalp: Jojoba oil nourishes the scalp pores and hair follicles from the inside.
- Stimulates growth: It stimulates the growth of eyelashes and eyebrows too.
- Rejuvenates brittle hair: It can rejuvenate weakened and brittle hair.
- Prevents hair loss: Jojoba oil prevents hair loss by strengthening the roots.
Friends, now you must be wondering how to use jojoba oil for reaping its immense benefits. Here, we will give you some DIY ideas on using the oil in an efficient manner, both for the skin and hair.
Read about uses of essential oils in summer here.
Jojoba Oil Massage Oil:
For this, you will need 10 drops of jojoba essential oil, 5 drops of rosehip oil, about 10 drops of frankincense oil or olive oil, and about 5 drops of lavender oil. Mix them together in a dark container and apply on the face and neck each night.
Jojoba Oil Night Cream:
For making this very effective night cream, all you need is 1 tbsp fresh cream, half tbsp glycerine, and around 10 drops of jojoba oil. Mix all the ingredients and store in an airtight container. It can be refrigerated for a couple of weeks. Take a dollop size of this cream and apply on your face and neck. Massage for about 4 to 5 minutes with light hands. You can experience an almost instant glow. Don’t forget to apply in the under-eye areas too.
Jojoba Oil and Coconut Oil with Vitamin E Anti-ageing Mask:
This anti-ageing mask does wonders for your skin. Coconut oil contains all the properties that jojoba oil has. In addition to that, coconut oil also has antibacterial properties. Mix together around 10 drops of jojoba oil with a tbsp of coconut oil. Add in a few drops of vitamin E. Store in an airtight container. Apply this as a mask at night. You will see that it prevents facial wrinkles by nourishing the skin from within and preserving skin elasticity.
Jojoba Oil and Shea Butter Super Nourishing Hair Mask:
Here’s a good DIY for using jojoba oil for hair. Melt 2 tbsp of shea butter in a water bath. Add in 6 drops of jojoba oil and 6 drops of Argan oil after the mixture cools down. Stir in a few drops of vitamin E and 5 drops of rosemary essential oil. Pour it in a tin and chill it in the fridge. To use it, take a very small amount on fingertips and rub it into the hair. Use a broad bristle comb to spread it evenly in the hair. The mask will be absorbed instantly into the hair. It adds a protective layer to the hair, thus preventing split ends and dry hair.
So friends, there are several ways to try out the very wonderful jojoba oil in your daily hygiene regime. Do check out various essential oils offered by Mesmara. You can also find a good number of herbal powders and cold-pressed vegetable oils on our shopping list. Mesmara aims to provide holistic living and wholesome health.