“It was June, and the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside.” – Maud Hart Lovelace. The American author Lovelace has described summer sunshine and the month of June in a beautiful way, but the beauty comes with a caveat. Summer also means bad hair, aka frizz, frizz, and more frizz! Not to worry! We have come up with 2 best homemade hair packs for summer and 5 best hair care tips for summer season. At Mesmara, we believe in holistic living and therefore our essential tips for summer hair care are all natural.
Damaging effects of summer sun on the hair
- Dry and frizzy hair : Summer means vacations and outdoors. Just like the skin, our hair also takes a toll in the summer months. Previously silky, shiny hair becomes dry and frizzy. As the hair becomes drier, the hair shaft absorbs the humidity in the atmosphere. This causes it to swell and break, thus causing the frizzy hair. Summer hair care routine definitely needs to be different than in the other seasons.
- Increased hair fall and dandruff: More outdoors means increased sweat and more exposure to dust. The result is dandruff and increased hair fall.
- Sunburn to the scalp: The sensitive skin on the scalp can also be prone to sunburn. This can damage the hair roots.
- Excessive sweat and dust: More sweat on the scalp means greasy hair. Sweat combined with dust and the result is dandruff.
- Swimming and hair problems: It is a well-known fact that chlorine in the pools acts as a bleach and damages hair.
Homemade hair packs for summer
- Yogurt, Egg and Argan oil hair pack: Well, you can definitely beat the frizz with this hair pack. Beat together 1 egg white and 2 tablespoons yogurt. Mix a few drops of Mesmara Argan oil with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add this to the egg-yogurt mixture and mix well. Apply on the scalp and along the length of the hair using a brush. Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse first with cold/lukewarm water before washing with a shampoo. The protein in the egg helps to rejuvenate hair, yogurt moisturizes the hair and Argan oil promotes hair growth and moisturizes the scalp.
- Avocado and Olive oil pack: Mix 1 tablespoon Mesmara Extra Virgin Olive Oil to 1 whole avocado (peeled and mashed). Apply to dry hair and scalp. Wash it off with shampoo after 30 minutes. Adding 1 teaspoon of coconut milk to the mixture will provide extra conditioning to extremely dry hair. This would be a good homemade hair mask for summer.
5 hair care tips for summer
- Apply Argan oil or coconut oil to your hair before entering the swimming pool. Argan oil is the best hair oil for summer season.
- Protect your hair with wide-brimmed hat while out in the sun.
- Avoid using blow dryers and hot curling irons.
- Trim your hair regularly.
- Avoid excessive washing of hair, which can strip the hair of the essential scalp oils. At the same time, don’t refrain from shampooing when the scalp becomes sweaty.
Read about Natural Ways to Protect Your Hair in Summer.
Summer is the perfect time to relax and let your hair down. However best we try to take care of ourselves, sometimes we end up doing just the opposite. The bottom line is that we should understand the needs of our hair as per the season and try to treat it in as natural a way as possible. We would encourage you to try Mesmara herbal hair packs and herbal powders, which can be purchased online just by the clicking a button. Go ahead and find your perfect products!
Wondering how to protect your skin during the summer season? Read our article on Summer Do’s and Dont’s for Skin.